This is just a little blurb about me and my technology. I am interested in computers, preferably Unix like machines with their usual panoply of compilation and scripting tools. My current machines are a eight year old dell (600MHz coppermine with 192MiB RAM and a whopping 9GiB hard drive) running debian lenny squeeze, a new dell (a barebones Core 2 machine with 2GiB RAM and 160GiB drive) also runnlng debian lenny squeeze, and a cool little Asus Aspire One which I use as an internet appliance, which isn't running debian... yet. I have really liked Macs from when they were exotic and new, so I am continually disappointed in lack of progress of GUIs, to the point that I often prefer a text shell.

6 @ home

I just got a dlink ip6-enabled router for $30 at <i>The Source</i>. Now bell doesn't give me ip6 access via the dsl link, so this can only do tunnelling to the greater ip6 internet, but that in itself is a great improvement over my old set-up which used a very unfriendly ip4 NAT.

On the 6

Yup. I took the leap and have set up shop on the greater ip6 landscape. You can see far but it's pretty lonely out here. Not much traffic coming this way. And I am only able to test the server via IPv4Gate which offers a cool service where you append .ipv4.sixxs.org to the end of the domain of the web site you are interested in browsing to and it acts as an intermediary between your xenophobic old ip4 home connection and the great open ip6 vistas --- no complicated tunnel configuration required.

Drupal 7

So the upgrade hasn't been painless. I am getting error messages on every create content form to do with fields, even though I am not using any at the monent. Also the dashboard wont seem to turn on. The overlay is quite nice though.

P.S. Fixed the unitialized fields problem by opening and saving the manage fields form of the content types.



So things are largely set up on the server, just waiting for drupal.wuug.org to go live on the wuug nameservers (ns2.servertree.net is holding out for some reason). The git repository is set up at drupal.wuug.org:/srv/wuug/drupal/WUUG-Drupal-Project.git. The public-6 branch will automatically checkout into /srv/drupal-6/sites/drupal.wuug.org which is the root of the config space for drupal.wuug.org. This checkout is done with user credentials, so I hope I confgured the group permissions correctly. I really should test this with a nested checkout to see whether checked out directories have the appropriate permissions and group ownership. I am setting the umask in the git update hook so it only a matter of the group for newly created files and directories that may be off. I have set the setgid bit on the root directory, and all new users are getting wuug as their primary group, so the only potential snag is in checkouts from me! This is my first attempt at administration for multiple users, so I may have messed it up.

I only have two users so far! And no activity.

drush and the server fork bomb

drush (the drupal shell) is a nice command line tool that I have installed on the server for the wuug drupal project. It has the nice ability to be able to work through a remote instance via ssh --- or so the documentation says --- in my case it fork bombed the server --- the OOM killer played havoc with my server and still failed to slow down the fork bomb. What a mess.

Ubuntu Netbook Edition

So my diminutive Acer Aspire One is now running Ubuntu Netbook Edition and seems to like it, although the initial two tries at installing it failed utterly. The second failure was the worst as the system seems to have gotten stuck in a swap storm. It had been installed but was running very slowly, and then had to rush off elsewhere --- on returning a couple of hours later it was writing to the SSD like mad and completely unresponsive. Only a magic SysRq key could give me my system back so I rebooted and only then remembered I had left it doing a software update --- oops, no kernel! How can an installer only a few days old be so out of date? I had reused some existing partitions in the installer, but not their contents, so I have no idea what the difference was between the final successful install and the disaster immediately before it. Indeed, I expected the final install to be as bad as the others --- I can't remember what I hoped to achieve. Surprisingly the third time worked like a charm. Very odd.

Reflashing a BIOS from Windows

Beforing putting debian on an Acer Aspire 1690 that I inherited, I decided to reflash the BIOS to the latest version (the new one dates March 1st 2006 --- whippee!) figuring that would give me the best chance of success in putting this thing to sleep and having it wake up again. I have never had a great deal of luck doing this but one can only hope. To reflash the BIOS I downloaded a windows bios flash programme from the Acer web site that came with a whole raft of dire warnings but I plunged ahead anyhow. The reflash itself went painlessly complete with a back-up of the old BIOS and a compatibility check so I was reasonably happy that I wouldn't brick my computer but I hadn't reckoned on Windows freexing up solid not letting me shut down the machine. It was working as anice room heater and nightlight but little else. I started to sweat a little when holding down the power button did nothing at all --- this is a BIOS override of the OS and it wasn't doing anything at all!

Linux and tmpdevfs

So I downloaded the patches to get to from my 2.6.31 set-up and ran make oldconfig --- it gave me the option to run devtmpfs and mount it on /dev before starting /sbin/init. Why not. So a short compile later and a reboot and debian lenny likes devtmpfs. Nice to know.

Apache 2.2.14 and mod_proxy_scgi

Woo Hoo. Happy days are here again. Eat cake = Have cake


Subscribe to Matt's Blog RSS